Friday, November 1, 2019

SPAM Street Tacos


      Ok, before I type another word let's get something straight.  Most of us have eaten SPAM at one time or another in our lives.  Some didn't care for it, some did, and the rest aren't talking.  I always liked it, depending.  There, I said it.  It is a choice piece of pork shoulder processed and canned.  I don't cook with it regularly, but there is always a can or two in my pantry for the occasional 'off the cuff' meal.
      It lends itself well to RV cuisine and a plethora of newly offered flavors make it easier than preparing another cut of meat with seasonings:  Classic, Lite, Turkey, Chorizo, Bacon, Black Pepper, Teriyaki, Jalapeno, Pumpkin Spice, Low Sodium, Hickory Smoke, and Hot n Spicy.  Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my!    For this recipe I used Hot n Spicy.  Good meat, and a healthy alternative.  The rest is just tacos.  Again, for the healthy side I use small corn tortillas. If you can find white corn tortillas all the better.  Everyone, including me, loves flour tortillas, but corn is healthier......white corn tortillas are also just as soft and flexible.  This recipe is a compilation of a couple of SPAM street taco recipes.  I like this one for the avocado radish slaw and mole sauce.  

1 can SPAM, sliced into thin julienne
Cilantro
Cotija Cheese, shredded
Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Hatch Chiles (but you can use whatever variety you wish)
1 small red onion sliced
1 avocado peeled and chopped
1 dash lime juice
1 cup chopped radishes
Adobo Seasoning
1/2 cup Mole Sauce
Taco Sauce (I like to use Tabasco Chipotle or Cholula Green Pepper)

SPAM sizzlin'
      I say to cut the SPAM julienne style; you can get the most meat in your taco.  You can also cut it into chunks if you wish.  First sauté the SPAM in a skillet with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, and seasoned with Adobo Seasoning.  Mexican street tacos DO NOT taste like ours.  Sizzle SPAM while turning in pan for 10 minutes.  You want it crisp, but not burnt.  Drain and set aside.

       Heat tortillas in a warmer in the microwave and set aside.  Set up your assembly line with a bowl of meat, cheeses, chilies, avocado, onion, cilantro,and radish. Put a few spoonful's of Mole Sauce on each tortilla and then assemble your tacos in whatever order you like and plate on plate.  I left my avocados sliced rather than chopped for the picture, but chopped might work a bit better.
Assembly Line
Building by layers
      Dash with lime juice if you like.  I like to finish with Cotija Cheese and then hot sauce on top.  Figure 2-3 tacos per person.  You can serve this with refried beans, guacamole n chips, or even peppers on the side.  These are so good I get way too comfortable watching a movie afterwards or sitting by the fire pit  Street taco = good couch potato.  Grab a handful or three....

Plated and ready....only needs Taco Sauce

"You cannot make everybody happy, you're not a taco"
Borracha

WiFi courtesy of Verizon MiFi

No comments:

Post a Comment