Friday, November 8, 2019

Dexter BBQ


     During my 3 week stay in Bachelorhood, MO I took a night out and ate at one of the local favorite BBQ joints.  Dexter BBQ is located in Dexter, Cape Girardeau, Sikeston, Jackson, Farmington, and Polar Bluff, MO.  This is still a small local business chain with a flair for flavor and respect for good business.  This is not Texas or Carolina or Memphis or even KC style BBQ.  It is a flavor all it's own; sweet yet smoky.  In business for 37 years , we have eaten here before, but I thought it needed it's own review.
      It is located 'downtown' Poplar Bluff on North Westwood Blvd. just off US 60.  This is real Missouri slow pit smoked BBQ with an assortment of sides and soft serve ice cream for dessert.  The BBQ chicken dinners are served Wednesdays only.  They also offer to go, pick up, banquet, and catering services.  There is no tipping.

Banquet Room
      The menu is diverse, yet southern.  www.dexterbbq.com/menus-poplar-bluff.htm   I ate here on a Friday evening after nurturing an empty stomach all day.  I did have to debate with Roux as I'm sure she suspected I was eating BBQ without her.  I arrived to an empty restaurant.  This should have tipped me off, especially on a Friday.

Counter ordering
     Like most BBQ joints you place your order at the counter when you arrive and then be seated.  They'll bring it to you.  I ordered the Dinner Ribs, Brisket, Pork Combo plate which came with came with 2 sides and Texas Toast.  I got the twice baked potato and fried corn.  I also got a big glass of sweet tea, the House Wine of the South with which to wash it all down.
Dexter BBQ Combo w/3 meats
      First of all every meat was tender;  the ribs fell off the bone, the brisket fork tender w/good bark, and the pork, well it's pulled pork....a pile of meat.  However, the potato was a bit on the dry side with an odd taste and the corn was overcooked, soft.  I usually pride myself on telling what type of wood they smoked with, but it was not to be.  There was very little, if any smoke taste to it.  The brisket was a bit dry, the pork was ok, but the tenderness of the ribs made up a little for the lack of taste.  I never found sweet yet smoky on any of the meat.  They have 4 different BBQ sauces and I used the KC Sweet n Smoky just so I felt like I was actually eating BBQ.  
      There really isn't any service as you don't see the server again after your food is delivered until they clear your table, hence the NO TIPPING policy.  I finished the meal, but with room to spare.  That is not the norm for me.  Total cost for this experience?  $19.36.  Maybe I caught them on a bad day, maybe this location isn't as good as the others, maybe there is a reason it wasn't packed on a Friday night at dinner time.  Again this isn't Texas BBQ, sure as hell not even close.  I've had better even in Michigan. 
    I can only in good conscience give Dexter BBQ 2 stars as I have never given a single star.  Perhaps a mercy killing here would have been in order.  By the way, Roux did still get her bone.  She is less picky than her Daddy.

"Read my lips, it's time to BBQ"  
George H.W. Bush

WiFi courtesy of Camelot RV Park

No comments:

Post a Comment