Thursday, July 6, 2017

And the Oscar for BEST MOTHER goes to.......

     
      How can I be home for an entire summer and not celebrate the woman I love the most on her special day?  One of the best, yet most unexpected parts of my own growing older is the onslaught of memories I would begin to experience as my mother grew older.  This summer has been a personal enigma all it's own.  I have experienced the gamut of emotions throughout this visit and I DO MEAN the gamut.  This is not to infer anything selfish because I am sure this is the same gamut Mom has used when describing dealing with me her entire life.  Ok, I have used the word 'gamut' enough.  Moving on.  I have always thought my Mom was stunningly beautiful at a young age.  The older black and white photography really brings out the best in people.  Over the many years later wisdom has made her just perfect. 
     We have spent so much time this summer downsizing Mom and ferrying her to the numerous medical appointments it was time for a celebration.  Barb had an idea for the meal so when my sister Deb decided she would come up from Oregon the party just kind of took on a life of it's own.  In fact we got a 'late surprise' when my youngest sister, Mary, traveled all the way from Iowa for the celebration as well.  This would be the first time all of us have been together for many, many years.  I had high hopes yet fingers crossed.   
      Barb has been wanting to make her famous lasagna and this met with hearty approval from the rest of us.  She wanted to make enough to feed all of us and plenty of leftovers for Mom's freezer as well.  In case the garrisoned troops at Fort Lewis showed up we still might not be hurting.  I'm not posting the recipe for the lasagna as it is already the topic of a blog entry on January 12, 2014.  Nor will it take a DeLorean or Marty McFly to get there, just address the Blog Contents Bar on the right side. 
      This year Mom turns an indiscriminate chronological age that if I post......well ok, I won't.  Let's just say she has more accumulated knowledge and experience than the rest of us at the table combined, probably due to dealing with the rest of us at the table.  Mom didn't want a big cake with SO MANY candles flaming;  just a table full of family and friends celebrating.  Mom did decide on two smaller cakes which we had made for us.  I realize that Barb has made this dish many times before, but forgot that the grocery shopping alone is a saga in itself.  Just the right Kielbasa, Pepperoni, Smoked Sausage, Burger, Roll Sausage, Tomato Sauce and Paste, Swiss, Cottage, Mozzarella, and Cheddar Cheeses, and of course.......fresh lasagna noodles (not the dry ready to bake crap as the chef herself states).  Yes, this is Meat Lovers Lasagna.  Barb made two large dishes (and one small one for Mom to freeze) of lasagna.  Plenty to eat and plenty of leftovers as well. 
                                    
It was a wonderful dinner on quite a warm day.  Lasagna, Garlic Bread, Salad, friends, and family.  Is there anything better?  The summer of altruism continues.  Joie de Vivre 

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in
life to celebrate"                                                                              
       Oprah Winfrey

WiFi courtesy of Verizon MiFi




No comments:

Post a Comment