We were hoping to depart October 1 this year, but medical appointments still occupy our time. ETD is now October 17th. As such we enjoy our last BBQ meal in early September just before cleaning and storing the pit in the barn. This summer, we have had Q'd pork shoulder, spatchcocked chicken, duck, ribs twice, brisket, and Picanha. I always strive to crank up the wood pit about every 3-4 weeks each summer.
This is our last cook, so I am combining some chicken and pork sausage together along with some corn o cob and potato salad. I'm sure there will be leftovers.
The chicken is simply brined and rubbed out with Kosmos Dirty Bird. The sausage is already seasoned and goes on the pit as is.
I prefer just to cook till I get 165 degrees and the desired appearance...crispy and browned, not burnt.
The chicken is smoked until the internal temp is 165F. Approaching this I will baste the bird meat in our BBQ sauce, while turning to finish.
I remove the meat to a platter, covering to keep warm into the house. Served with potato salad and bi-color Corn o' Cob.
"Barbecue is the soundtrack of summer."
Rich Hilts








No comments:
Post a Comment