Monday, November 29, 2021

Never Waste A Day.....

 


      From the Washington beaches we headed south 230 miles to Salem, OR to visit mom.  She has lived with my sister and her family for 3 1/2 years now and at 93 is doing well.  We look forward to these visits.   Mom's taste for seafood rivals mine and unless I bring it and prepare it for her, she doesn't get much of it.  This is by no means a bad reflection on my sister as she is a great cook and I look forward to the meals she'll prepare (most notably Thanksgiving) during our visit.  Last year I made mom and I fried oysters and this year of course it'll be razor clams. 

Much cooler down here

      230 miles, $3.79 diesel, and 13.5 mpg.  I'm not crying yet.  On the horizon looms California.  After we crossed the Columbia River from Washington there was 5-10 mph bumper to bumper parking lot traffic on the highway for nearly 29 miles.  On arrival we set up camp at the Polk County Fairgrounds, about 10 miles west of Salem across the hills.  There are no reasonably close campgrounds to my sister's place and we have stayed here 3 times now.  Basic fairgrounds park with hookups, but no frills for $25/night.  This year we shared the area with a very large arts and crafts fair.  We commuted the short distance each day between camp and Deb's place in West Salem.  This the central valley of Oregon where agriculture is King.  Lots of vineyards, orchards, berry farms, etc. here.  

.  

      Unfortunately, days before our arrival Barb began to suffer what she thought was sinuses, but only got worse.  The night before our arrival she slept very little, fraught with deep coughing spasms.  The next day on the drive into Salem she seemed to be fine, but when setting up camp she again lapsed into the deep cough.  I think all the night time clam digging in cold air got to her.  We couldn't get into an Urgent Care Facility until Friday so we had to cancel our appearance for Thanksgiving dinner.  Barb was very disturbed by this, but everyone understood.  I delivered our food to my sisters and received a box full of goodies for our own Thanksgiving mini-feast.  Mom was not told we were in town.  Thanks sis.  


      The day after Thanksgiving I took Barb to Urgent Care in town.  It took nearly 1:45 to get in, but once in we were rewarded with a NEGATIVE for COVID test.  Diagnosis revealed a whopper chest cold.  Another day or two rest would do it.  Let it run its course.         We were able to get together over a meal or two with several of the family nonetheless.  I got to meet my first Great Nephew, Liam Dikih as well as meet my nephew Jamie's fiancé.  Unfortunately, I missed out seeing my niece Christina with her husband.   I did make mom's annual 'son inspired classic':  Fried Razor Clams and she loved it.  She cleans her plate better than I ever did as a child.  

My sister, Deb, doing the cooking thing.  Thanksgiving leftovers are KING

Brother-in-law, Jim and his first grandchild, Liam

My nephew Andrew, wife Adriana, and first born, Liam

My nephew Jamie and fiancé Chandler

Razor Clams, Taters, and Green Beans

      Mom is 93 and for several years we have known we can no longer afford to take a year off that we don't visit.  Mom and Barb live for their nightly "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy" adventures on TV.  This year the Food Channel's Holiday Baking Championships were the center of attention.  It was fun watching them comparing and criticizing their own baking skills against those on the TV.  I was allowed the additional duty of remote-control duty and providing refreshments to them both when requested.  

The Three Amigos
      
      I thank God that she is well with my sister and her husband.  Deb and Jim have been a blessing.  Well, this visit was not what we intended, but it was a surprise nonetheless.  God is a funny guy.  It was good to see mom again.  She is, however, advancing due to age.  I think about this every day now, but without Deb, Jim, and our family she wouldn't have made it this far.  Never waste a day.......count your blessings.  They are there.  Barb is feeling better and now we head south and east to Rotodome Ranch in Texas. 

    

NOTE:  I WILL BE RETURNING HERE IN MARCH TO LOOK AFTER MOM FOR 10 DAYS AS MY SISTER AND FAMILY TRAVEL TO MEXICO FOR HER YOUNGEST SON'S WEDDING.  


"Mothers are like glue.  Even when you can't see them they are still holding the family together"

Susan Gale

WiFi courtesy of AT & T Wireless 


No comments:

Post a Comment