Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Embracing Fall; Crawfish Stew & Dumplings

 


      Fall is my favorite time of year, the weather is cooling, leaves are changing, and the anticipation of impending comfort cuisine.  We are entering the season of "It never really dries out now."  Gumbo, Jambalaya, Stew, Red Beans with Rice, and Chili......oh my!  This is my first time with this recipe.  No recipe is perfect.  I did modify/tweak this as I went along.  I know what we like.  After all this is Cajun, how bad can it be?  It is my favorite cuisine to prepare.

3 lbs. crawfish (of course in lieu of fresh I get tails in the freezer section of Walmart)

1 cup Roux

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 onion chopped

1 bell pepper, chopped

2-3 cups chicken broth

Salt and red pepper

1 tbsp. chives

1 tsp file powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

 

NOTE:  You can make homemade Roux and I would if I had fresh mudbugs with all the tail fat.  This time I used Tony Chachere's Roux mix.  I'm lazy. 


Stirring the roux 

     I'm in Michigan.  For lack of fresh, 3 packages of crawfish tails will do.  Make roux and heat on bottom of pot, stirring at low heat until mixture is a golden brown.  Add the Holy Trinity (onions, celery, and bell pepper);  cook until vegetables are tender.  Lower fire and add crawfish, stirring.  Add 2-3 cups chicken broth.  Cook 20 to 25 minutes on low, stirring occasionally and add more broth if needed for desired consistency

The Holy Trinity of Cajun Cuisine:  onions, celery, and bell pepper


Simmerin'
      Again for easy prep I used Bisquick dumplings, but if you have your won recipe, go for it.  I added File powder, garlic powder, and chives to the dumping recipe.  Spoon dumplings into the pot.  Put cover on, continuing to cook on low for 12 minutes.  Ladle into bowl and add dumplings.       
Dumplings in the pot


Finis' plated 


"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall"

F. Scott Fitzgerald


WiFi courtesy of AT & T Wireless 



No comments:

Post a Comment