Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Sandwich Project


      I have spent the past 3 years working on my next book.  A departure from my past photo essays or coffee table books, this is a non-fiction documentary.  This project has intrigued me for quite awhile and although I know the subject has already been done several times I decided to accept the challenge.  I am a conservative, but a firm believer in lending a helping hand to my fellow man when in need.  I enjoyed the challenge of research as well as travel and interviewing people.  I was amazed comparing the various causes, symptoms, and public/governmental reactions and responses.


      The Sandwich Project is a book about the homeless in America.  I traveled to and researched 3 different metropolitan areas, but found the causes to be pretty much synonymous across the country.  These aren't rich people, poor people, or any other particular demographic.  The only common denominator I could ever find were a wide variety of health care issues as well as significant percentages of domestic abuse, evictions, and age.  They are all Americans, yet there is a wide divide in Americans opinions, including government, as how to fix this.

  
      I researched and documented results from the cities of Detroit, Seattle, and Minneapolis.  The populations I discovered were not at all the same demographically and neither is the assistance available to help let alone save these folks.  Unfortunately they are a pawn within the system; at best political capital identified as needing our help, but without much results after the elections.  The vast majority of them survive only due to volunteers and private donations.  Yet some have simply chosen to live apart from society, sometimes blaming us for their ills.  As a people we are more alike than we are different.  You will be surprised as to how close 'homelessness' can be for any of us.  The cost to save these people is not as astronomical as you can imagine.  In fact the stats within will surprise you.  The book has finished editing.  I am meeting with several different commercial publishers for manuscript submission and hopefully a contract or I will meet with my current publisher.  It should be out in early spring.  I am proud of this work and invite you to read this book.  The results will open your eyes, hopefully as well as your heart.

"Let your love be the kindness to make a homeless person believe that a soul needs something more than just four walls and a ceiling"  
Munia Khan

WiFi courtesy of AT&T 

No comments:

Post a Comment