Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Taming the Beast (or how I learned to handle dynamite)

   

      Just before our departure last fall I purchased another new firearm.  I got the Ruger Redhawk in 44 Spl/Mag in the Talo Collectors Version.  www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms This weapon is stainless,  has a 5.5" barrel, and comes with fiber optic sights.  The 44 magnum has a tough reputation, this I won't deny, but I always wanted to add one to my collection.  The Redhawk was easily my choice.  Ruger makes a fine weapon.  My Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt has been trustworthy on several deer, bear, and wild boar hunts.  You can load these guns UP, they are made of strong steel and are nearly always recommended by ammo manufacturers capable of their strongest +P loads.  
      It wasn't until Deer Camp in Oklahoma that I first got to pull the trigger on this beauty.  Any 44 mag weapon will also chamber 44 Special, a much more comfortable, controllable load.  I began my work with these.  I was only able to shoot off hand at 20-25 yards using HSM 240 grain hard cast SWC Cowboy loads.  $32 for 50 rounds.  These were a bit smoky, but the accuracy was good without much leading.  The trigger pull is a stiff 7 pounds; it could be less.  That's a lot of force to deal with before the shot goes off.  I have never been a fan of the stock factory grips and although the wood on this is very nice, I didn't care for the feel.  Soon after I replaced these with Pachmyar Rubber Decelerator Grips.  These grips outfit my Blackhawk 45 LC as well.


       I was very happy with my selection of 'plinking loads', 44 Special HSM 240 grain SWC.  Good accuracy, decent price, and no noticeable leading right out of the box.  Later while visiting our grandson in Duncan, OK I was able to work on some more loads at Murf's Gun Range.  Controlled conditions with the ability to shoot over a sandbagged bench rest.  

      I verified my earlier accuracy, but this time with MagTech 240 grain SWC.  These were not 'hard cast'.  They were very accurate, but they leaded my barrel and cylinder face quite a bit.  I did finish up with 3 rounds of my 44 mag load; Hornady 44 Magnum 300 grain JHP XTP.  An accurate load with a substantial increase in recoil.   
       I was not quite satisfied that this would be my final choice for such a heavy duty load.  I researched even more on my own, talked to different friends with experience including one with bear experience in the Yukon and Alaska.  Although I don't plan on such experiences, I wanted to shoot the most powerful load with which I was comfortable.  This would be mostly for hog and black bear hunting.  I was a bit surprised that this would still include 'Hard Cast' lead bullets.  I should define that 'hard cast' bullets are those made with the hardest possible tin/lead content % so as to provide good penetration on game while not significantly leading the gun barrel.  I have always been a Copper Jacketed Hollow Point user.  I quickly learned that the larger hard cast lead flat nose bullets with a gas check provide up to 3 feet of penetration on the largest game, including bears at the hotter loads.  Elmer Keith, lawman and rancher in Nebraska proved that these lead loads can and will outperform jacketed loads where big game is concerned.  We never stop learning.  My next step in testing led me to either the HSM 305 grain hsmammunition.com/bear-load/ or the Buffalo Bore 305 grain www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=48, both hard cast SWC flat nose bullets.  My only concern was performance vs. RECOIL?  
       It took me a bit to locate this ammo in stores.  I did find the HSM loads at Cabela's in Buda, TX.  This is a HUGE store.  Even though these are lead wadcutter style they are not cheap;  $59 for 50 rounds.  HSM has been producing quality ammo in Stevensville, MT for over 50 years.  
      I want to keep the gun sighted for the 44 Special Wadcutter loads, but just wanted to make sure these are on the paper.  They would only be used at around 15-20 yards hopefully.  My first 3 shots were pretty much WOW, this is quite a handful of dynamite.  I moved to 15 yards and was able to keep my control and the groups reasonable; only a bit lower than my sites.  1260 fps and 1175 foot pounds of energy.  I'll take it.  Again, the heavy trigger pull is a factor.

44 Mag HMS 305 Hard cast SWC 

My last addition is the Diamond D Leather Guides Choice chest holster system.
  
Diamond D Custom Leather Guides Choice

      Primary carry with the 44 Special 240 grain SWC or woods carry for big critters with the 44 Mag Keith 305 LFN gas check loads.  Both are hard cast loads.  These will do it all.  In the future I may be looking into a custom trigger job and perhaps even Mag-na-porting.  

"I would stay away from hollow point ammo and go with something with a BUNCH of penetration such as hard cast +P FN lead"
Elmer Keith
WiFi courtesy of Verizon MiFi








No comments:

Post a Comment