Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Lucky Wishbone Anchorage, AK


      I was clued into this restaurant by a good friend that makes it a point to eat there.  Word of Mouth most often translates into 'Golden Vittles'.  The Lucky Wishbone is a diner specializing in chicken, located downtown Anchorage on East 5th Street.  They are a landmark restaurant in the heart of Anchorage.  Opened in 1955.  64 years in the business and still going strong.  They are Alaska's oldest family owned restaurant.  It has always been a local favorite.  After 6 weeks of fresh seafood, we yearned for something different, comfort food.
Lucky Wishbone 1955
      They offer a complete menu of chicken anyway you want it, including livers, hearts, gizzards, and giblets.  They also have a full line of burgers, grilled deli sandwiches, and soup/salads.  I'm told their Grilled Pastrami is to die for.  They also have a full line of deserts (including 40 different flavors of milkshakes and malts), children's menu, 8 'soups of the day', and of course everything and anything can be 'to go'.  The Fresh Frozen Strawberry or Oreo Cookie Shakes are a popular favorite.  www.yelp.com/menu/lucky-wishbone-anchorage/main-menu   They also have an online presence on Facebook.  
      Their secret is simply that it is pan fried, just like my mama, grandma, and nearly other woman prepared for their families for years.  They start with the freshest chicken, never frozen, dipped in buttermilk, lightly batter and pan fried crisp and golden.  Everything is served with a fresh warm homemade roll, butter, and your choice of coleslaw with fries, onion rings, or both.  Buttermilk makes everything better.  

      Barb and I were in town for about 12 days for some last minute stuff before making our way toward the State Fair in Palmer and after...….the border.  We chose a Saturday evening to dine here. Although there were lots of people, there was still plenty of seating.  The walls are adorned with dozens of family and era style photographs.  I came with my Gizzard Low Level Light in OVERDRIVE  and Barb had a hankering for some fried chicken.
Gizzards
"The Mom" 3 piece fried chicken

      We found our food to be DELICIOUS.  Only the cornbread was made w/o sugar and a bit dry.  Barb loved her chicken; the skin was thin and crispy, but not greasy.  The gizzards were the best I've ever eaten.  They were lightly breaded and when I took my first bite and it was so tender I thought they'd served me the livers by mistake.  After a few more I still couldn't believe it.  I asked the waitress what the secret was, she just smiled.  They marinate them in buttermilk, then boil, and then fry w/breading.  I washed this down with a wonderful peaches n cream milkshake.  The service was excellent.  Our server, Miranda, checked on us often; we never went without anything.  Total cost for our dinner was $34 (Alaska prices).  The Lucky Wishbone is open 7 days a week 10 a/m. till 10 p.m. except on weekends when it closes earlier.  Sadly their founder, George Brown passed away last year, but the legend lives on.  This place is easily the best food I've eaten in awhile.  



"My fried chicken is simple, I pan fry it in a skillet" 
John Legend

WiFi courtesy of Verizon MiFi   



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We did love it. We saw where you had eaten there and remembered it was recommended to us by another USAF friend in Wasilla.

      Delete
  2. My mom was a big regular of the Lucky Wishbone beginning when they opened and pretty much for the next 20 years, when we moved south for warmer climes. She told me more than once that the founders treated her like a daughter; it must have been true, as they gave me and my sister the "grandkids" treatment on our weekly forays to LW. Very glad to see that their legacy lives on today, 68 years later.

    ReplyDelete