Saturday, April 27, 2019

Rollie Guacamole Kalkaska, MI



      This is not something I would normally do, a food review in my own home town.  Probably a bit paranoid, but I heard such good reviews of the management/cook coming in I had to try it.  In fact I discovered this is run by the parents of a former student of mine.  They previously owned The Farm Golf Course in nearby Bellaire.  This is the third food truck that has set up shop in our little village.  All our located across Oak Street from the hardware store in Railroad Square.  Plenty of parking is available.
      This Taco Truck will be the first of it's kind in our area.  Not part of the bigger Traverse City food scene we have only occasionally experienced eclectic availability.  Kalkaska has a lot to offer in a small, hometown setting.  I hoped this would further enhance that.  So far they only have a social media presence online, but I look for that to change with success.  Their menu is quite varied and even offer delivery service, out of the norm for our town.  They also offer a 'Rewards Program'.
      My wife and I had just arrived from our yearly winter southern sojourn so we took advantage of a free afternoon for lunch.  Interestingly, this was their opening week as well.  The menu is pretty straight forward allowing us to peruse it at our leisure before stopping by.  They offer Tacos, Wet Burritos, Taco Salad, Quesadillas, Nachos, and dessert Churros.  Due to our travels we have quite a bit of experience with the many varieties and flavors of Hispanic Cuisine we wanted to sample something we felt would test the cook's mettle.  By this I mean Tex-Mex, Sonoran, Chihuahuan, and Jalisco.  Anybody and everybody offers a Wet Burrito these days so we decided to stick to the Taco Meals.  
      On the day of our visit Barb chose the Chicken Tacos while I went with a Beef Taco.  Both meals would normally come with soft shells, beans, and rice.  There are jalapenos on the tacos which I love, Barb not so much.  We also got a shared side order of Chips n Guacamole.  The menu was seriously curtailed this weekend for Trout Festival so they could keep up.  
Chicken Taco
Beef Taco w/hot veggies

      It is, after all, a Taco Truck.  There were 3 folks on duty and all were working hard.  We found them to be courteous, prompt, friendly, and informative.  Barb and I both enjoyed our meal. These are very much 'street tacos';  delicious, warm soft shells and tasty ingredients.  Much better than Taco Bell.  For the most part the sides and extras are prepackaged.  A bag of tortilla chips, a small container of Guacamole or Salsa.  Only the entrees are fresh.  The total for our lunch tab was $13.  It is Trout Festival Week so there was plenty of FIESTA.         In all fairness it was also their first week on the job getting all the kinks in the system worked out.  Trout Festival Weekend they were constantly changing their menu to be able to more efficiently meet the needs of the lines of people.  I think they'll do just fine.  I would love to come back and try it again once their entire menu is in place.  Always a challenge to rate, let alone in your own town, but I give Rollie Guacamole a solid......
 

"If this country wants to elect somebody with no political experience who is racially insensitive and golfs.....in my first 100 days I will make Taco Tuesdays the law"  
George Lopez 

WiFi courtesy of Verizon MiFi 

No comments:

Post a Comment