Thursday, March 15, 2018

Miso.....learning a new condiment

     During the past two trips home I have learned to cook with another new ingredient I had no experience with, but learned to love the flavor.  Miso is a traditional Japanese seasoning produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and the fungus koji and sometimes rice, barley, or other ingredients.  The result is a thick paste used for sauces and spreads, pickling vegetables or meats, and mixing with dashi soup stock or to serve as soup called misoshiru.  This condiment is high in proteins as well as rich in minerals.  I originally investigated this for a recipe of Razor Clam Po Boys, but Barb and I also loved the the taste as a side dressing for salads.  Typically Miso is salty, but it's flavor and aroma depend on various factors in the ingredients and fermentation process.  Different varieties of Miso have been described as salty, sweet, earthy, fruity, and savory.  This can be adjusted to suit your individual tastes when you combine it with other items for use.
       As I said I have only worked with Miso for a couple of dishes and so I am including the recipe for working up a batch for simple use.
Miso Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 teaspoons of Miso
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice

      Mix very well and taste.  I find that I often prefer more Miso and less Mustard  I place this in a squeeze bottle and use when I wish.  You can use this for salads, sandwiches, finger food etc.  When you buy Miso you will find that is often comes in a much larger container than what you will immediately use.  As long as you properly seal and store Miso it will last in your refrigerator indefinitely, but I prefer to restock every year.
      I look forward to using this condiment now that I know exactly what it is and how to prepare it.  I have heard it is delicious in soups, mixed with rice, on crackers, bread chunks such as Crostini or Bruschetta, and even potatoes so I guess we'll see.


Razor Clam Po Boys w/Miso Dressing and Slaw

"Luck exists in the leftovers"
Japanese Proverb

WiFi courtesy of Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment