Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Turning 70....Time's Exponential Curve

 


      Yes, that's right, me and my pal George Strait are 70.  In fact so are Liam Neeson, Vladimir Putin, Sharon Osborne, Jeff Goldblum, David Hasselhof, Mr. T, Dan Akroyd, and Pat Benatar to name a few.  Wrap your noggin' around that one.  The road has been long and only recently did I recently realize how long.  Like most of us I look in the mirror each morning and wonder where the years went, why I look the way I do, regardless of how my mind feels.  This year I feel some retrospection is in order.  Change is a part of life.  Not many of us accept this well. 


      I'm not going into the details of my life, career and family except to say I wish I had have spent more times with my kids.  Due to my USAF career, I am only still close to my oldest son.  There was a lot of dynamic living and instability and my daughter never got over that.  We are, to this day, not close; in fact, estranged.  This hurts my wife and I more than you can imagine.  



         My choice of teaching as a 2nd career was a challenge easily accepted given my love of children.  I loved the job and like many other teachers worked many hours past the normal school day/year.  It's what it takes, a labor of love.  I worked with nearly 400 children over my career and met some wonderful parents as well.  The teachers I worked with were a fine group of professionals, although I was nowhere near ready for the politics.  I entered the profession full of hope to perhaps change some of the opinions about public schools.  I completed my EdD in Educational Psychology in 2010 and worked a bit with the curriculum but could not seem to make any headway against the 'system'.  My last year or two were very subpar for me and I am ashamed to say that I only survived by playing the same games I despised.  I shrank to within the world of my own classroom and children.  The union is no small part of that.  It is sometimes said that most new teachers don't make it to the 5-year mark, but those that do make it a career survive only through assimilation.  I have always believed that you can be a pillar of society and a credit to your profession, but you have to get your foot in the door first.  I wasn't anywhere near as successful as I hoped to be.  
      My one 'claim to fame' was the Chess Club I founded.  No one believed that 4-5 graders were mature enough to play such a strategy game.  We only existed due to PTO funding as the school district was unable to help us in any way. I was never paid for this, nor did I expect to be.  I found the dollars every year somewhere and if not, I paid out of my own pocket.  We taught children valuable skills in problem solving and situational awareness, attending the Michigan State Elementary Chess Championships every year and even finishing 10th in the state one year.  I was honored to mentor several bronze and silver medalists over the years.  Upon my retirement the chess club no longer exists. 
       I do miss the children and in fact I am still in touch with many of them.  Several of my alumni attended Michigan State, Michigan, Grand Valley State, Northern Michigan, Ferris State, and Cedarville University.  Several are pilots, either military or commercial, USAF intelligence linguists, civil engineers, fire fighters, insurance agents, dog trainers, golf course owners, and nurses, while many of them have established their own families, raising children, and are living their own dreams as well.  One is even pursuing his post graduate degree in Global Health at Ohio State University.  In January I discovered that one of my recent favorites is doing her student teaching in Elementary Education in Anchorage, Alaska.  Recently, I was informed that she was offered a full-time position after she finishes her student teaching and graduation.  I guess I made the difference where it counted.  I couldn't be prouder of them.  Sometimes I receive messages etc. from students thanking me for the influence I made on their lives; how much they learned from me about life and school (plus, the dog and cat stories).  But these days I have realized just how much richer my life has become because of all I learned from every one of them.  "Teaching; all this and a paycheck too"

Micah Lajewski, All Great Lakes Conference Rugby

2013 Cherry Street Intermediate "Knightmares from the North" Chess Team

Silver Medalist Hunter

Silver Medalist Logan

Rich & Alexa, now a student teacher in Alaska

Chess Club lessons and strategy

Lady Katy



Rich & Shelby, my first graduate class

      I move slower now with my share of aches and pains, like many of my friends and relatives.  This started about 12 years ago and the onset was insidious.  First, blood pressure issues although minor, then gout, then a torn meniscus in my knee, and then the diagnosis of COPD.  Additionally, I suffered a fall last May and my back even with P/T including deep tissue massage hasn't been the same since.  Some days are fine, but some days require an Aleve just to do 'some' of the things I used to.  


        Introduction to Tri Care for Life, Michigan Retired Teachers Insurance, and Medicare has been its own adventure.  Who covers what and on what days of the week under which circumstances.  Lots of 'jumping through hoops', but so far I don't have too many complaints.  Of course, all of this, most notably the COPD, makes physical chores harder and accompanies the inevitable weight gain.  Dietary concerns and weight loss are much higher now on my list of priorities.  For the first time in my life, I am pacing myself.  I don't like the situation, but my health could be much worse and for that I'm grateful.  My annual physical exams go pretty much uneventful, so far.  Carpe Diem is my new motto.  My wife still loves me and that goes A LONG WAY.  She has always been better to me than I deserve.  


       Since our retirement, Barb and I have traveled not only to see this great nation, but to renew old relationships with friends and family alike.  We've been to Mexico and Alaska twice each and recently purchased a winter place in South Central Texas we love.  We still have three items on our 'bucket list':  harvesting a black bear, a trip to Ireland, and one more trek to Alaska.  Barb's health is pretty good, except for her terrible allergy and sinus issues which can be an issue when traveling.  Mom lives with my sister in Salem, OR and although she has good days and not so good ones, she will celebrate her 95th birthday in July.  My next youngest sister and her husband have done a wonderful job taking of mom.  My youngest sister is currently in the hospital after a lifetime of suffering through Lupus and smoking.  She is intubated and they are medicating her for fluid in her lungs and around her heart.  

      We take it one day at a time now.  Time has become a palpable reality and every single day is a precious thing.  I have been blessed with the love of a good woman, strong children, and 3 incredible grandchildren; all of which I revere.  This is in addition to the finest group of friends anyone can have.  I have several friends who have already passed on or lost loved ones themselves, which does put things into stark reality.   I do have my share of regrets when it comes to the past but am not bitter.  I have enjoyed my life.  Be generous with your love and your time, make every day count. 





 
























Here's to the next 70 


"The great secret that all old people share is that you haven't really changed at all in 70-80 years.  Your body changes, but you don't change at all.  And that, of course, causes great confusion."

Doris Lessing

WiFi provided by AT & T Wireless


No comments:

Post a Comment