Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Thor's Hammer....the Ultimate Beef Crown

 



      I have been wanting to try this ever since I saw it online.  The perfect crown of beef; a shank with a large bone for a handle, roasted or smoked to perfection.  RED BLOODED MAN STYLE BBQ.  My work was indeed cut out for me as I searched all-over South-Central Texas for this cut, initially with no joy.  I did find some in Napierville, IL, but the shipping was insane.  I'm sure the demand will have an effect at some point.  

      Amazingly I happened to come across it after a local ad online by the local bar n grill, Gypsy Salley's was offering it that day as the Special Smoked Osso Bucco.  I called to confirm that was the cut of meat they were using, and the pit boss was kind enough to tell me where he found it, not far away at a local ranchers' meat market.  I was able to get ahold of this 'meat gold' for $5 a pound or $19 for the average cut.  They can be cut tall or short or anywhere in between.  Take your pick but watch your cooker height vs the bone.  


      Preparation and cooking for this are pretty straightforward.  Remove from packaging and pat it dry.  I brought mine home from the butcher and thawed it, aging in the refrigerator for 7 days before cooking.  There is no need to inject so I just rub it out first with a binder such as olive oil and then thoroughly sprinkle with KOSMOS SPG, but you can use any good beef rub, such as Hardcore Carnivore Black Beef, Meat Church Holy Cow or Holy Gospel, or KOSMOS Texas Beef or Cow Cover.  Use plenty, don't skimp here.  Any rub will work as long as it complements the meat without unnecessary spice or heat.  This is beef and meant to be served to taste like exactly that. 

Rubbed out and on the pit

      There is nothing like a good wood smoke pit so fire it up and get the temp stable at no higher than 225F.  I used lump hardwood charcoal to start and spiked it with split oak when needed.  Due to the height of the bone, you may have to place it on the pit sideways and rotate both laterally and medially occasionally.  My bone was 7" which fit into my pit at 7 1/8" nicely. Wrap the exposed bone handle in foil if you wish to prevent blackening, a personal choice. 

2 hours, start spritzing with beef broth

      Smoke the meat for 2-3 hours; every 45-60 minutes spritzing with beef broth.  I did discover, however that meat with the bone in takes longer to cook and it took nearly 5 hours to get this far. I learned, my bad. 

180 degrees F, time to wrap in foil

      When internal temp reaches 175-180F remove and wrap in aluminum foil.  Spritz heavily once more and return to smoker and cook till internal temp reaches 200-203F ideally.   Pull and leave wrapped to rest for an hour.  This allows the meat to finish any additional cooking and the juices to be reabsorbed.  

Wrapped and returned till 203F

Done, rested, ready to carve

      Place finished shank centered on large serving plate.  When served, offer large slicing knife and fork and surround the meat pedestal with Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Fritos or, Corn o' cob, tortilla chips, beans, celery, carrots, whatever strikes your fancy.  You can simply slice the meat off the bone to serve or use twin hand shredders, your choice.  No marinade, no injection.....just good rub and the occasional spritz with beef broth.  As good as any brisket or burnt ends I've ever eaten.  

Sliced off the bone and served with redskin tater salad, guacamole, and chips


"Here in Texas BBQ is an obsession, and the only cure for it is to eat some more"

29,530,000 afficionados

WiFi provided by Texas AT & T Wireless 







No comments:

Post a Comment