Saturday, May 7, 2022

Hatch Peppers: A Chicken Soup Guide for the Soul

 

     I have always loved spicy and even HOT cuisine.  When I was younger, I would grow them by the bushel and canned many, many pints of salsa, the hotter the better.  Hot Thai Peppers, Tabasco, Serrano, Cayenne, and even Scotch Bonnet.  Of course, I grew Jalapenos, as well.  But as I got older so did my intolerance to offend my stomach.  

New Mexico State University

      When I discovered my reflux was getting out of control, I had to find an alternative.  I had grown some New Mexico #9, a hybrid from New Mexico State University.  These smaller triangular peppers were a bit hotter than an Anaheim, but with an earthier flavor.  I used the as milder fillers for my salsa.  NMSU has developed quite a few hybrids for the industry and the farmers surround the Chile Pepper Capital of the World, Hatch, NM.  Over time and testing I developed a penchant for these peppers and over the past 29 years I have become a convert.  I had already begun to use Poblano and Anaheim peppers in some of my dishes.  This opened up a whole new arena for me.  This tutorial may help to inform and perhaps entice others to the world of the Green Chile. 
 
Some of the 10,000 acres of fields in the Hatch Valley

      First of all, 'green' is just a color.  You can get green chiles the entire gambit of the Scoville Scale from mild to 'hey where the hell did the enamel on my teeth go'?  You won't find anything in the Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper range, but who the heck cooks with those anyways?   All Hatch peppers begin green but turn red in the fall.  These are harvested according to heat preference as they age.  The more they age, the hotter they become.  During harvest fresh peppers are roasted outside stores throughout Las Cruces.  It can be smelled for miles.  
 
      The Hatch Valley is known for growing a wide variety of peppers, especially the New Mexican cuisine staple, and one of New Mexico's state vegetables, the New Mexico Chile.  While other regions may say they have better chiles, there is no other in the world like that produced in the Rio Grande Valley.  This valley was once a flood plain for the Rio Grande River which is why it has the nutrient rich soil that makes the most fantastic chiles.  There is nowhere else in the world with the same unique growing conditions.  Peppers grown as much for flavor as heat.  The best of both worlds. 
      The types of peppers grown here include the Anaheim, Chimayo, New Mexico cultivars #1-20, Numex Big Jim, Sandia, Numex Joe Parkers, among others.  Currently these are the most common grown in the valley. 

 
NM #20 (mild)  A mild, warm, sweet variety that still has the GREEN depth of flavor.
  

Big Jim (medium hot)  A larger variety 7-10" long.  It is a favorite to use in medium heat dishes such as enchilada or rellenos. A favorite pepper for medium heat Chile Rellenos, they can sometimes hold up to 6 ounces of filling.


Sandia (HOT)  It is a favorite for those that love hot dishes such as enchiladas, rellenos, and is a favorite for a hot enchilada sauce. 



Numex Joe Parkers (VERY HOT) This is the smallest of the Hatch varieties, but the HOTTEST.  It makes great salsa and is recommended as a great level of spice in small doses. 


      Of course most folks cannot usually find these cultivars individually in any stores, unless you visit Hatch, NM.  In local stores across America I have found canned Hatch Peppers.  I would recommend you select the HATCH BRAND Fire Roasted Green Chiles.  The taste is superior.  Others, such as La Victoria, Ortega, or Old El Paso are good,  but notare grown in Colorado or Central Valley, California.    


      Hatch, NM is a great road trip.  A small town of 1600 in south central New Mexico, there are blocks of small stores to share their wares, the whole arena of Hatch fresh, dried, and processed chiles, including canned peppers, salsas, ristras, and sauces.  In addition the best food in New Mexico, the Green Chile Cheeseburger is available at one of the best venues Sparky's Sparkys Burgers How popular is the Green Chile Cheeseburger?  This is the official state map  New Mexico Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail | New Mexico True                 From the comfort of your own home you can shop and purchase all the possible Hatch Pepper products you wish at these stores.

Sparky's





      If you're looking for menu ideas, I can recommend the following:

      

Both offer the best of mild to HOT Southwestern cuisine
These books are available thru Amazon and other outlets

      I am definitely a 'green chile' guy.  From start to finish, the flavor is everything to me.  I even make my own chili powder with a green chile powder recipe.  These books can satisfy any of your needs whether it be mild or hot.  Both can be found in these publications. 

NOTE:  Only 25% of the land in the valley is currently under cultivation.  Due to current governmental trade regulations 82% of the hot peppers in this country are imported from China, Peru, and Mexico.   This is obscene.  BUY AMERICAN


"Few states feel as passionately about their produce as New Mexicans do about their Green Chile"
Katka Lapelosova

WiFi provided by AT & T Wireless 





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your informative post, it was very helpful. I, too, love green chilies and struggle to find Hatch products here in FL otherthan the small cans of diced green chilies. I will certainly look into the online options. Do you make the trek over to NM from TX during the winter to source yours?

    ReplyDelete