Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Pastrami and the Train We Rode in on....

 


     I have made Pastrami twice in the past, each time with pork belly.  This turned out very well, but a bit thick to slice.  I have solved some of this with the purchase of a commercial meat slicer.  I want Pastrami that I can slice very thin and roll on the sandwich.  I'm also trying a new meat this time.  I bought a commercial "corned beef' where I can make either Pastrami or Corned Beef, depending on the prep, seasoning, and smoking.    

      When unpackaging, soak the brisket in cold water for 8 hours to desalinate.  Then I set aside to dry so as to better adhere and layer with the dry rub.  The dry rub for corned beef is a bit different.  For Pastrami it is as follows:    

1/4 cup crushed coriander

2 Tbsp. crushed black pepper

2 Tbsp. smoked paprika


Into the wood pit freshly rubbed out

      Fire up wood pit to stabilize at 225 degrees.  I used oak.  Place meat into wood pit and smoke for 6 hours or until internal temp is 160 degrees. 

5 hours in

      Wrap in paper or foil and return to wood pit.  Cook until internal temp reaches 200 degrees.  Remove and let rest 1 hour.   Place wrapped pastrami into fridge for the night.  The next morning it will slice much easier.  It can always be reheated.  We also vacuum sealed and froze a couple of packages for later.  

Done at 195F

New Slicer

3 lbs. sliced vacuum sealed & frozen

     I am still learning to use the new slicer.  I would have liked it a bit thinner, but I'll learn. The meat was very tasty, but a bit tart as I think there was too much smoke on this load. Apple, cherry, or pecan might have been a bit sweeter wood.  This is a delicious meat, making for a memorable sandwich.  Normally Rye, but your choice of bread, covered with slaw, Russian dressing, slice of Swiss cheese, with a pickle and some mustard if you choose.  Barb did find it a bit salty for her taste.  


Ala Oh Baby with Russian Dressing, Coleslaw, Melted Swiss Cheese, fries, and a pickle    

 

" I find Pastrami to be the most sensual of the all the cured meats"

George Costanza


Wi Fi courtesy of AT & T Wireless



No comments:

Post a Comment