Friday, March 19, 2021

Perfecting the Art of Wood Pit Beef Brisket

   



      I'll preface this by saying that I have been 'messing around' with smokers for 30 years now, but only recently beginning to really understand the culinary art of it all.  Ribs, turkey, and pork shoulder have always been pretty much straightforward for me, but beef brisket has been a bit of a hit and miss situation on my pit.  In the past 3 years I have visited with friends of mine and several pit masters in some of Texas' best Q and discovered much of what I was doing wrong, or could be doing much better.  Recently I have had several inquiries about the art of smoking beef brisket and thought it might be time to share what I've learned.  

      I run a stick and wood pit, meaning it is an offset type wood smoker.  My original Oklahoma Joes resides at our farm in NW Michigan, while our new Texas Longhorn pit serves our ranch in Texas.  Both are the same design, only the size varies.  The pit in Michigan is a bit larger and can handle fish in the vertical pit.  The pit in Texas is horizontal only, meant for meat.  These are what I learned on and what I know how to do.  I believe the flavor is superior.  

Oklahoma Joes Michigan Pit

Texas Longhorn Pit

      In my opinion Texas style Q is the best.  Know this going in.  Kansas City, Memphis, or the Carolinas will be a bit different, mostly the sauce, mop, etc.  Your first step is to pick a good brisket at the market.  This means Walmart, HEB, or your local butcher.  You should select a brisket rated in the top two USDA Prime or Choice categories.  These grades provide the right amount of fat throughout for this type of cooking.  Look for a fat layer throughout the middle when viewed from the side; this is normal and provides for some basting and flavor throughout.  There is a lot of preference lately for Wagyu brisket as well.  Just know that this is also a superior meat, but will cost you more.  

USDA Prime

Middle fat layer  (on the flat)

      Notice from the top picture that there are two parts of any brisket.  The 'point' and the 'flat'.  The 'point' is on the right side, the most muscular part of the brisket.  Each brisket has both parts.  It is important to note that the grain runs differently on each part, which will be important later.  If you will be cooking this brisket right away leave it intact.  If freezing for later on or using only using half now then cut it in half, resulting in a point and a flat.  An entire brisket will feed 5-8 folks.  Barb and I usually halve them to enjoy 2+ meals.  
      About 5 days prior to cooking thaw brisket, warming to room temperature.  I apply a rub here.  You can use what you wish.  I prefer Coopers Old Time Seasoning,  a salt and black pepper based rub.  Available at www.coopersbbq.com   Liberally rub the brisket and then place in a large cellophane turkey bag and refrigerate for 3-4 days. This is not necessary, but I like to age my meat a bit with seasonsings.  

Cooper's Old Time Rubbed out brisket

      On the day of cooking remove brisket from bag and warm to room temperature.  Fire up the wood pit and let temperature stabilize to 225-250 degrees.  When brisket is warmed, inject with either your choice of moisture, beef broth, or (my choice) Kosmos Q Reserve Blend.  Available at www.kosmosq.com.  I also substitute beef broth for the water requirement in the directions.  To do this place brisket in rimmed sheet or foil pan and inject via a grid pattern, such as a checkboard or chess board, being sure to inject at every possible angle.  Injection isn't required, but I have had my best results by doing this.  When complete, place in smoker.

Injecting with Kosmos Q Reserve Blend

Brisket at 3+ hours

      Smoke brisket for 4-5 hours keeping temps stable and minimal opening lid.  Check meat internal temp with injectable digital thermometer.  You are aiming for 160 degrees.  If not, then close lid and resume.  The brisket will take on a deep red or even black color.  This is the bark beginning to form.  When temp is achieved remove brisket from pit and wrap tightly in peach or brown butcher paper and return to smoker.  You may use foil also, but I'll comment on this later.  This is call 'The Stall'.  At this point the fat begins to render down (melt) and will actually reduce the internal temp of the meat.  By wrapping the meat it will allow the fat to render as well as help the meat maintain cooking temperatures.

 
Brisket wrapped at 165 degrees

      After about 2 hours check the temp of the brisket again, this time through the paper wrap looking for 190-205 degrees.  If not keep cooking.  Some briskets can take up to 12 hours to finish depending on fat content.  This 'point' took 9 total hours.  When temperature is achieved remove brisket from pit and place on counter to rest for an hour.  The paper will be soaked, but don't worry the meat retained plenty of moisture as well as a nice crispy bark.  Foil wrapped brisket tends to render a much more moist, but soggy bark.  I like crisp, but it's your choice. 
      Allow brisket to rest for an hour.  Then unwrap and slice for serving.  Always slice across the grain  AND, realize if you are dealing with an entire brisket the 'point' and the 'flat' will have different grain directions so watch for this.  The meat should be tender almost to the point of falling apart on your fingers and drape easily and loosely when balanced on a single finger.

Brisket 'point' sliced after resting an hour
 
This is a perfect brisket moisture drape 


      Smoked brisket is always good served with corn on the cob, biscuits, coleslaw, beans, mac n cheese, and/or cornbread.  Use your imagination.  For today's I served Charro Beans and Cold Broccoli Salad.  Bon Appetit'

"Good brisket, bad brisket , it really doesn't matter....just give me some, Daddy"
The Wonderpup Roux Hilts

WiFi courtesy of AT& T Wireless 

 


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I've been enjoying your blog for about 6 months or so now and this post is just stellar! You have really made me wish I was a "smoker" girl. I admire your dedication in all things meat as I'm a carnivore in the truest sense of the word. I also want to sit down at your table please sir!

    ReplyDelete