Friday, January 15, 2021

San Juan Taqueria Leakey, TX

 


      This came as a bit of a surprise to us.  We knew this 'taco stand' was here, but as 'newbies' had not heard anything about it.  We had eaten at Pearl's Food Truck and Leakey BBQ across the street, but only recently decided to have lunch here.  I picked up lunch for my wife and I, taking it back to our place.  In fact I have picked up lunch tacos for my wife and I several times.  This is a small stand, but complete with shaded tables to 'dine in' or you can take out.  The owner arrives at 5 a.m. each morning to begin prep of all the homemade tortillas, meats, etc.  I'm not talking street tacos either......these are full size handfuls of deliciousness.  


      The menu is posted outside and I have to admit is quite diverse.  I had to take a picture for future use.  They not only offer 19 different styles of tacos, but Tortas, Flotas, Fajitas, and Carne Asada.  They also offer a burger and club sandwich if you like.  They have no web presence, but their menu can be found on Yelp.  They are rated 4.5 out of 5 stars.  The menu lacks nothing.  www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-san-juan-leakey2



      The business hours are 7 a.m. till 2 p.m. (closed Monday) serving both the breakfast and lunch crowd, but don't be fooled.  This place is often busy.  Previously I had the Barbacoa Taco and a Potato Chorizo Taco, both delicious.  Their Barbacoa (Mexican BBQ) far surpasses what anything I have tried in the past.  They were closed for 2 weeks in December due to COVID, but returned to full form.

      So this time we dined for an early lunch before heading off to Uvalde for some shopping.  Barb ordered a couple of the egg/cheese tacos while I decided on the Tortas and Burrito Supreme.   Each order comes with the house green sauce.  This is, of course, homemade and delicious.  Yes, there is a bit of spice, but not overwhelming.  I loved it.  I'm a green sauce type of guy.  One taco will do the trick, but hunger often demands two.  

Egg n Cheese Taco
Burrito Supreme w/Green Sauce

San Juan Tortas

      I am a bit embarrassed to have passed this place by at first figuring it was just another taco stand, but once eating their food I am seriously in love with the local Tex Mex cuisine.  All the tortillas and shells are flour soft shells.  I wish they offered hard corn shells as well.   But, the servings are very hearty and you WILL NOT go away hungry.  We pigged out here for $21.  There is no comparison anywhere else in my memory outside of a visit to Baja California a few years ago.  A taco is not just a taco everywhere.  Most of America does not really enjoy good Mexican cuisine.  This is NOT TACO BELL.  It is food with heart and soul.  This was a very tough call and it is after all just a taco stand, but on a scale of 1 to 5 stars we gave this one a.........

"Tacos are like what the voices of a hundred angels singing Bob Dylan while sitting on rainbows and playing banjos would taste like if that sound were edible" 

Isabel Quintero

WiFi courtesy of AT & T Wireless 

No comments:

Post a Comment