Friday, July 13, 2018

Schweinhaxen

      As old as Germany itself, this recipe brings out the best in the culture.  Pork Hocks (or knuckle), open fire, traditional seasonings and Hot Potato Salad and Dumplings.  There is no down side here.  I have eaten this many times and within the past several years have found if I request the larger 'hocks' from a local butcher I can create this as I wish.  When selecting them I ask to see their largest.  The bigger the better.  The natural thick skin of a pork hock serves well for holding seasonings and controlling temps while over the fire.  I picked my hocks this year from Stewarts Meats in McKenna, WA.  This is a regional favorite in Western Washington for any type of meat product you desire.
      First off, lay your hocks out on a cutting board and let rise to room temperature.  Then spread and rub in a mix of:

2 Tblspn sea salt
4 cloves, ground
4 juniper berries, ground
10 black peppercorns, ground

NOTE:  These proportions can be modified as to your particular tastes.

Seasoned Hocks
      Grind using mortar and pestle.  Then place in the refrigerator uncovered for 12-24 hours.  When ready to cook thread the hocks on a rotisserie spit and rotate over a high fire heat until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  I roast my hocks on my Aus Spit  http://auspit.com/ over my outdoor fire pit using a mix of maple and cherry wood.  This normally takes about 2 hours, depending on fire.  These were BIG hocks and took a bit over 3 hours.  When ready, remove from the spit and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Almost done on the spit
       I usually finish this off serving it with Potato Dumplings, Spätzle, or Hot German Potato Salad.  These recipes will not be published at this time as they are my mother's (and generations before) personal recipes and out of respect for them I will only share the picture.  These hocks were big enough only one side dish was needed.  The best of Deutschland.  Joie de Vivre!  

Bon Appetite'

"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was Thank You, that would suffice" 
Meister Eckhart

WiFi courtesy of Verizon MiFi 



   


No comments:

Post a Comment