Sunday, April 1, 2018

We Live and Die......Christ Died and Lived



      I can't even remember the last time I was home with Mom for Easter.  This year we'll celebrate all that is important.  We began our celebration with a somewhat silly, but completely unexpected approach as we surprised Mom with an Easter Basket for the holiday........just to have fun.    Dinner was a much more involved matter as I (the anal retentive chef) planned the ultimate feast.  I love a good leg of lamb.  Barb and I enjoy any type of lamb, but Mom had only tried it in Oregon at my sisters.  Her husband, Jim, makes a fantastic lamb shish-ka-bob so my work was cut out for me.
      It was a pretty informal morning, other than the surprise basket and several phone calls.  I got the meal in the oven early afternoon so that we had time for reverence as well as celebration (at our age, celebration means TV).   I had selected a choice leg o' lamb for dinner; ordered early and FRESH from Stewarts Meats.  www.stewartsmeatmarket.com/  I marinated this the week before.  I planned to accompany this with mashed potatoes, and a batch of fresh green peas.   Of course biscuits will be on the menu as well, King's Hawaiian.  Not to be outdone, Mom made her delicious fruit salad.  Barb topped everything off with a tray of her Mom's special recipe deviled eggs.  
       First of all,  I trim the excess fat off the lamb and then place it in a large turkey bag.  I also include several sprigs of mint leaves, a couple of quartered Golden Delicious Apples, and approximately a half bottle of Chardonnay wine.  Squeeze out any excess air, tie off the bag, and marinate for several (up to 4) days. Turn the bag over once a day.
Lamb ready to go into oven
      When ready to cook the lamb, remove from marinade bag, drain, and place in a roasting pan complete with stocking net (if boneless).  Rub roast with lots of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, a bit of Lamb Tajine Spice, and Garlic.  Sprinkle with salt.  This provides a delicious outer crust.  Place roast into preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for 2 hours or until inserting the thermometer at deepest point, but not touching the bone reads 145 (medium rare) or 160 (medium),  your choice.  Remove from oven and let rest on cutting board for 30 minutes more.  Make gravy from juices in roasting pan 
Lamb resting right out of the oven
     Holiday mashed taters are a treat.  Barb did her mash with butter, sour cream, and garlic.  Tender peas are easily warmed and served fresh.  Deviled eggs and fruit salad, oh my!  Warm the rolls, dot with butter.......voila!  Remember, we only used a half bottle of Chardonnay earlier........you do the math.  


"There would be no Christmas if there was no Easter"
Gordon B. Hinckley

WiFi courtesy of Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment